Thursday, February 10, 2011

Learning Log 3

When the whole class was tasked to split up into groups and discuss about an event where something actually happened because someone said it would, my mind just went blank. To me, nothing exciting like that ever occurred in my mundane life so I was pretty thankful to Mrs Woo for breaking us up into smaller groups and having the opportunity to share our different views on this certain topic. I found myself in the company of Jing Yan, Calisa and Amanda. But to my dismay, none of them had a great story to share. Out of the blue, Jing Yan said that he had a story in mind but refused to tell any of us so in the end we settled for Jing Yan's mysterious, unknown story. When the day came where every group had to share their own story, disaster struck!! Jing Yan was not PRESENT!! He went to Thailand already for an early Chinese New Year so our group was now left with me, Calisa, Amanda and a newly added member, Jia Ying. Boy was I relief when Mrs Woo said the story need not be true so we used our 'girl power' and brainstormed of an awesome story. In the end, we got ourselves a pretty interesting tale to share. Due to time constraint, we did the sharing on another day where Jing Yan was around. Despite using Mrs Woo's famous 'number selector' to pick the person in the group who was going to go to the front to share, Jing Yan had already secured that position as he did not contribute to the work the day before. During the sharing, I got to hear quite a handful of entertaining stories but I especially liked the story that Rachel's group shared. It was an imaginative yet a creepy tale for a made up story. At the end of the day, there would always be reasons for doing an activity, right? So, I guess Mrs Woo was trying to relate the story 'Macbeth' to this groupwork because that famous William Shakespeare story revolved around superstitions and occults. Thus, making us understand more about Macbeth. Overall, the lesson was enjoyable.

I feel that sometimes breaking up into our groups would take a long time as some of us refuse to have a sense of urgency. This would waste time so I would suggest that everytime we break up into our groups, there should be a 'number countdown' from 10 to 1. The ones who had exceeded the time given perhaps could do a forfeit if there was time. I hope this idea could be considered.:)

1 comment:

  1. That's a great suggestion Fatimah. Will try it out in class next time :)

    ReplyDelete